Hotmart has a complete payment system available worldwide and specially designed for online businesses. With millions of payments processed in over 188 countries, our payment system includes everything you need to boost your sales and give your buyers the best experience possible.
All transactions are secure, and you can also allow your buyers to pay in currencies other than the ones you usually use.
Our platform offers all of these perks and an exclusive anti-fraud system associated with three of the world’s largest security systems: CSE Security, PCI-DSS, and 3D Secure. We also work with 3DS2, the latest authentication required by European countries, which regulates the leading companies operating with personal and banking data.
Why is authentication required from my buyer?
Currently, in Europe, data authentication is already mandatory in most countries. This takes place through a protocol called 3DS2, which assesses risks more accurately during a transaction and prevents possible fraud.
How will my buyer perform this authentication?
- Buyers enter their card information and click the ‘buy now’ button.
- A payment gateway forwards the payment request to the bank that issues the card (issuer).
- The issuer will analyze the transaction, and they may challenge it. In this case, the issuer requires an extra layer of authentication to confirm the buyer’s identity.
- Then, the buyer will perform the authentication factors. All of this within seconds! If the buyer is confirmed as the legitimate cardholder, the transaction will be authorized. If not, the transaction will be declined.
- Certain transactions may be approved without the challenge; in these cases, the issuer receives the data, analyzes it, and determines if it’s sufficient to attest the transaction’s legitimacy.
This authentication can happen in several ways through information such as password, PIN, biometrics, facial recognition, etc. Therefore, if your buyers have any questions about authentication requests when completing their purchase, you can reassure them that this practice is secure. The process is simple and intuitive, very similar to what we already go through to confirm our identity when accessing email or social media accounts.
Can I choose not to use it?
No. The 3DS2 protocol will be mandatory for all who wish to perform transactions with cards issued in Europe.
Each purchase made with European cards may request a 3DS2 authentication, and if the checkout page is not enabled to perform it, the transaction will be automatically declined by the card-issuing bank.
It’s important to emphasize that Hotmart doesn’t operate within the environment where the authentication will be performed. Each bank has its own challenging interface, and we have no control over what will be presented to the buyer.
In case of chargebacks, if the buyer's card is authenticated through a 3DS2 protocol, the card issuer assumes full responsibility for any fraud.